There Was An Old Lady....

All day today I've been thinking of the poem called "There Was An Old Lady".  (This has nothing to do with my work and has everything to do with my home.)  The poem starts innocently enough:

"There was an old lady who swallowed a fly,
I don't know why she swallowed a fly,
I guess she'll die."

Soon, for the old lady, one thing leads to another, and swallowing the fly leads to swallowing a spider, which leads to swallowing a bird....and on and on it goes, until the old lady swallows a host of things:

"There was an old lady who swallowed a cow.
I don't know how she swallowed a cow!
She swallowed the cow to catch the goat...
She swallowed the goat to catch the dog...
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat...
She swallowed the cat to catch the bird ...
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider
That wiggled and wiggled and tickled inside her.
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly.
But I dunno why she swallowed that fly
Perhaps she'll die.

There was an old lady who swallowed a horse -
She's dead, of course."
That old lady got carried away!

Today, I am that lady.  I got carried away. 

I tried to write a poem, stealing the poetic form from the old lady, but, hey, this is how the first stanza would have gone.  I got stuck immediately.

"There was a young lady who planted a zucchini,
I don't know WHY she planted a zucchini,
I guess she'll  _____?????????_____________"

Verse 2:

There was a young lady who had an apple tree,
I don't know WHY she had an apple tree.

She planted the apple tree to use the zucchini,
She planted the zucchini to feed the boys,
She had the boys to "_______????????_______".
I don't know WHY - she'll probably cry.

THE END.


Today's task was simply to bake a birthday cake for Dean.  But here, in picture format, is the way the day went down:

1.  Since I am going to do some baking, I should use some of those apples to make applesauce so that I can substitute applesauce for oil, seeing that I'm adding lots of moisture with other ingredients.  Full pot of Applesauce complete - the world is my oyster!  I'm saving money!


2.  Before I get busy with Dean's birthday cake, I've been staring at all of those zucchini and dreaming about a chocolate zucchini cake.  If I make that today, we can eat it tonight with supper and for snack and the boys might eat some, too!!  Chocolate Zucchini Cake done.


3.  Better not forget to get that birthday cake on the go for Mr. Dean.  *Mystery Birthday Cake* done!


4.  You know, there's lots of zucchini left and so many apples to deal with.  How about I make an apple zucchini cake and take it to work on Monday!  That would be fun!  Better Google "apples", "zucchini" and "cake" and see if there is any such thing.  Yup!  Okay, here we go!  Apple Zucchini Cake turned out nice!



5.  Hey, I got a great idea!  Why don't I bake through this 5 gallon pail of apples today?!!!!!!  That is a great challenge!!!!  What else can I make?  Muffins!  Hmm, I wonder if there is such a thing as apple zucchini muffins?  Google search time again.  Yup!  Recipe says it will make 12, seems it made more....  I'll freeze them and take them to work for my coffee break.  22 Apple Zucchini Muffins ready to freeze.


6.  Wow, 5 gallons is a lot of apples.  What else could I make?  That's lots more baking that I need to do... but I have to do it, it's such a good idea.  Hey, I could make a Deep Dish Apple Pie, seeing that I still have one more pie crust left to use up in the fridge.  Bonus, the recipe calls for 10 CUPS of apples!  That should put a dent in the pail of apples.


7.  Leftover scraps of pie crust!  Cinnamon/sugar crusts coming right up!  Darn, wish I could add apples and zucchini to this...


8.  Okay, as a "nod" to my dear brother-in-law, Marc, I wonder if there is such a thing as Apple Scones?  Time for another Google search.  Wow!  Sure enough!  Mixed and ready, wish that would have made a bigger batch....wish I would have doubled the batch.  Only took 2 small apples.  I still have a ways to go with this pail of apples....  Don't think I'll even try adding zucchini to this.  Wow, Andrew has already eaten almost a quarter of the batch. 


9.  Okay, this is IT.  One last recipe.  Do you think there might be a recipe for apple zucchini loaf?  Last Google search.  I'm wiped.  Getting closer to the bottom of the apple pail...  Apple and Zucchini Loaf coming right up.  I'm getting dizzy.  I think I'm a bit nauseous.  I think I have a bit of a headache.  I think I missed lunch...



I went from this......



To this......



I have made an executive decision, that, in spite of the fact that there are a handful of apples left at the bottom of the pail, I REACHED MY GOAL of baking through a 5 gallon pail of apples in a day!

Tomorrow - APPLE JUICE!!!!!!!!




Not.

Want one of those recipes?  Ask me tomorrow.  I'm too tired to post one today, thanks.






Comments

  1. Yer funny.

    And cute as heck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woman, u tired me out with all your baking. Wow. I haven't baked since September. I've been mulling over the idea of making some bread.... tomorrow.

    I just may try some of your recipes with zucchini as soon as i get me some zucchini. (I sure like the way that words spells on the keyboard... z u c c hini...)
    Good night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good night m' dear! I'd be happy to share any recipe, except the muffins; they were horrid.

    If you say you haven't baked since Sept., well that's only 4 days ago? ;) I've been thinking of baking bread (or buns)too.

    Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts