In The Bleak Midwinter

Can you sing that Christmas carol?  I don't know who's version I like better - James Taylor's or Annie Lennox's.

James Taylor:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qmtO6cebcU

or...

Annie Lennox:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXgoyKdsAD4

The carol tells the story of a typical bleak winter's day that turned special with the arrival of the Messiah.  Simplistic beauty.

Today is a bleak midwinter's day.  With a wind chill of -47 this morning, we made the "never before" decision to not send the boys to school.  Seems that school may not be that urgent in light of the rapid ability to get frostbitten.  Tomorrow will be a different day; I will go to work regardless of the weather - no snow days for health care professionals!  Perhaps the Arctic temperatures will turn a few things around for us at work and bring some health back to us there.  Nothing like a good bout of frost to destroy a few viruses handily.

I am sharing a stew recipe today.  I make this stew at least once per winter.  I found it many years ago in a magazine and was inspired enough by the description to give it a try, even though it's far from a typical stew.  My memory thinks that it's a fairly new recipe to our family.  However, when I called my mom to get her to read me the recipe again (I have lost it several times) she and I had a bit of a chuckle over a shared memory.

Seems that many years ago I had told Mom about this recipe.  She sounded interested in it so I decided that I would send it to her in the mail along with a little letter to break up the winter monotony, both for her and for me.  I remember writing that letter to her, but it seemed like only a couple of years ago. 

However.

In the letter, I told her that the boys and I were feeling rather "housebound" in the cold, cold winter.  I told her that I had taken the boys down to the library and that we had borrowed some "videos" and that the boys were quite interested in the videos on "farming".  Then I said that Andrew was "showing interest" in learning how to write his name and that he had mastered the "A" and the "W" but needed a lot of help with the rest of the letters in between.

Hmm.

I guess that is awhile ago.

Today, he is busy cleaning up his room and rearranging his furniture by himself.  We went shopping yesterday to buy some trendy/slouchy toques for him to wear for the rest of the season, his idea (and he looks SO good).  He looks me in the eye and only lacks about 1/2 inch in order to be the same height as me.  He is a happy, fun and intelligent fella, one month away from his 13th birthday.  And it seems that he has mastered all of the letters in his name between the A and the W.

Eight or so years ago, the boys and I stayed put during the winter and longed for something to break up the monotony.  Today, the boys are home with us and we are all rather happy to be together for a change.

I like it when we get treasures in the middle of the bleak midwinter.

Here is:

Keilbasa Cabbage Stew

1/2 lb garlic sausage (or other smoked sausage of your choosing)
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cups cabbage, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup water
1 Tbsp sugar
dash pepper
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 Tbsp flour

Brown the sausage in a dutch oven.  Add potatoes, cabbage, onion, broth, 1/2 cup water, sugar and pepper.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through.

Add the kidney beans and continue to simmer briefly.

Whisk flour and 1/4 cup water together and add into the stew, stirring continuously.  Bring to a low boil and stir until stew thickens.

Serve in bowls!  It's a good occasion to drink a nice cup of Red Rose tea too!  And cover up with a good blanket, read a good book and, especially, be with people you love!

Comments

  1. Amazing how fast time flies. Glad you have a warm heart story on this cold winder day <3

    PJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks PJ! The passing of time is swift indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite version of that song is from Jane Siberry's album "Child". I sang that version with Janet and Meg before Meg moved away. Love it! Unfortunately, I can't find it online for you to listen too! There's a youtube one of it on her other album, but Jane's a bit "unique" in her style and that version is way more "unique" than the one on Child. Next Christmas I'll play it for you!

      Delete
  3. Dixie, I look forward to hearing it, but, next Christmas??? So far away......

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts