The Simple Life

Thinking today of some simple things. 

Andrew has been away overnight on a Band Trip to Moose Jaw.  Why do dads of sons get asked to chaperone these trips and not the moms?  This is both justice and injustice at the same time.  It's justice when I don't really want to go in the first place and can nod at Dean and conclude that, being the dad, HE should probably go.  It's injustice when I'd like to go and don't get asked because I'm the mom.  However, I digress.  Neither one of us went this time and I realized far too late that I could have volunteered.  So, being the mature parent that I am, I had to resort to the occasional text to, well, um, check in on him.  Following a briefer than brief text exchange last night at bedtime, I realized this morning that I had to learn to speak his language (so to speak) when texting as, obviously, he only wants to give out limited information. 

Here is the verbose (NOT) exchange we had this morning:
Me:  Hey
A:  Sup
Me: Whatcha doin'?  (which really means "tell me every little thing that you've eaten, done, thought, experienced in the last 24 hours because I'm dying to know")
A:  At mall
Me:  Nice mall?
A:  Yeah
Me:  Seeing the tunnels later?
A: Yeah
Me:  You sure are chatty.  :)  What did you do for breakfast?
A:  Waffles
Me:  Nice.  At the hotel?
A:  Yeah
(obviously, this conversation is going nowhere, I've got to cut it off before he tells me he has to go....)
Me:  K, g2g (aren't I clever using that acronym???)
A:  Bye

Oh, he is a man of few words.  Simple
.....When he wants to be.....

Later this afternoon, I texted again (don't roll your eyes at me) to find out where he was on the road as I had a meeting to attend this evening, depending on the time he got home.  (I never made it to the meeting, he's not home yet).  Anyway....here's some more.....

Me: Tired?
A:  Nope
Me:  Good.  Looking forward to stories.
A:  Yeah I'll tell them to u right now

HUH????????????

And he then proceeded to go into a lengthy diatribe on hotel rooms, museum experiences, concerts and the large amount of times they could order whatever they wanted at the restaurants, which included "quiznos six meat stack sand witch so delicious".

That boy.  Can never predict what he wants to talk about.  Or when he wants to talk.  Gotta be ready for those moments, right?


Ah, yes, simple things.  Chats with your growing son.


I've wrestled lately with some discouragement.  It's just not like me to wrestle something for as long as I have, but I couldn't get past some stuff.  Dean sat me down today and watched my tears slip down my cheeks and told me that, at the end of the day, even if all we have is just 'him and me', we'll be okay.    A simple reassurance, but rich enough to settle my soul.

And don't worry about me.  I'm okay.

.....insert wobbly grin here.....


Simple things.  Quiet reassurances.


Simple things.  Hard work.  I'm back in the yard and garden doing what also brings me peace - digging in the dirt.  How I wish my back was as strong as my passion for digging in the dirt!  There is something about getting on your hands and knees and fighting with stubborn dandelions and crab grass.  It's like life - you fight challenges one little dandelion at a time and soon the garden gets cleaned.  The simplicity of that truth is not wasted on me.


Simple things.  Hopeful anticipation.  We were away so much last summer that I really missed hanging out at home.  I missed going outside under the warmth of the sun and absorbing the sounds and smells of summer in my own yard with a good book and a cup of whatever or deciding to head to a lake for the afternoon or going out for a late night DQ run.  I plan to do that this year.  I have no wanderlust for this summer, beyond the couple of planned things already on the docket.  The pressure is off to plan and prepare.  The simplicity of that feels good.  And, LARGE HURRAH, we finally figured out a creative corner in the yard that will take minimal development to become the new hang out spot.  I`ve been looking for a spot in this yard for 14 years and we finally found it.  Sometimes you gotta live with the challenges until the right solutions show up.  Another simple truth.


And now, I`m simply tired, so I`ll leave you with one last thing.....a simple treat.

Rootbeer Float Popsicles

Open a can of rootbeer several hours in advance of the rest of your prep so that the rootbeer goes flat.  I opened mine in the morning and did the rest of the job in the evening.

Into a popsicle mold (mine had 8 spots) scoop small amounts of vanilla ice cream into each mold (Ì`d guess at approximately 2-3 tablespoons per mold).  Slowly pour the rootbeer into each mold.  The rootbeer mixes with the ice cream without any foam up.  Stick the popsicle sticks in to the mixture and freeze.

Yum-oh!  Ben and I made these last night and enjoyed a taste after school today.  If you love rootbeer floats, you`ll love this very simple treat. 

Next time, I`d like to make orange float ones, too.  Maybe grape ones too!  Cream soda?  Yes please.


Keep it simple, keep it real.  Take care.



Comments

  1. HUGS!!
    Enjoy your yard, your family, your popsicles!
    Lots of love,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts