Soul Food

Ah, food for the soul.  Soul food.  The notion conjures up a variety of images for me. Here are a few pictures from my week that have helped feed my soul. 
 
 





Fresh cookies in the cookie jar!  I asked for this cookie jar for Christmas, wanting a jar big enough to hold a batch of cookies.  Well, ahem, it seems that the jar is plenty big.  Andrew was out when they were baked and Ben asked me if these were a surprise.  I questioned what he meant by that and he replied "you know, like when we're at school and we come home to freshly baked cookies".  Well!  Seems that they DO pay attention to little acts of love along the way.


A cup of tea, anyone?  I love reaching for a cup of tea to sooth the soul.  Here is my brand new cast iron teapot that I got for a really good deal in my favorite color, red, one of my favorite tea cups (you can't drink tea out of just any old mug, you know!) and a sugar bowl just like the one we had on the farm.  My current tea favorite is a mint tea by Tazo. 

I could get used to this view.  Dean and I were scouting through downtown Saskatoon Saturday morning, looking for a place to have breakfast.  "I want a pastry and a cup of coffee", I told him.  Suddenly, RIGHT BEFORE OUR EYES, appeared this bakery/deli coffee shop in downtown Saskatoon.


We parked and wandered in.  Smitten.  Fresh baked ... everything.  Meat supplied by a local farm.  Home canned goods on the store shelves.  My breakfast consisted of a haskip danish and fresh coffee with just a hint of cinnamon.  We also purchased lemon tarts (with the prettiest piped meringue ...) and a loaf of brioche.  An old hardwood floor lines the shop; the ceiling is vintage.  The waitresses were attentive and friendly.  3rd Ave, between 20th and 21st Street, downtown Saskatoon.  We will be returning.  You should come, too.  Souleio.
 
This is a hopeful picture of soul food.  Hopeful in that I'd love it if this boy chased the musical bones that are definitely in his young body.  I'd love for music to be a refuge for him, to feed his soul.  It's a work in progress. He has a fantastic ear for pitch and has a great sense of musicality.  I hope he discovers some fun there.

Right now, HE is a work in progress ... he is a very sick young fella.  If you're of the praying sort, we'd all appreciate some on his behalf.  He's under good care and close attention from a doc or two but he's fighting a nasty bug.  NASTY. 



This handsome man just turned 14!  THAT does the soul good!  He's....he's a nice guy.  Yup. I'm so proud.


Okay, this isn't soul food.
BUT!!!!!
Consider yourselves warned! 
If EVER you should open up a box containing a new cast iron tea pot, please, whatever you do....
DON'T EAT THE BAG OF SILICA GEL!!!!!!!!!!  Please.   




 Cookies, tea, a bakery and my sons.  My comforts for the moment.  What are yours?

Comments

  1. Comforts ... rich dark chocolate in a quiet, empty classroom.... a purring cat ... sinking into deep sofa cushions with a fresh-smelling blanket still warm from the dryer .... waking up to sunshine crawling over shadows on the walls ...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts