On The Occasion Of Turning Fifteen

I spent two hours yesterday morning, baking a cake for Mr. A.'s birthday supper. 

Dean took a photo and I was so proud - IT LOOKS SO GOOD!!!





A few hours later, we dug into the cake.





Yeah.....um......well.......

Cough.

Not that good.

......dry......tough......pass the water......

How could I have messed this up so badly?  I followed instructions.  It looked easy, even.

My kind and wise mother-in-law (who bravely ate this cake) told me that I should freeze it and taste it again another day...sometimes cakes need to sit and age and, with time, they soften and moisten and improve.

I reluctantly had a piece this afternoon.  Yup.  It's better.  The flavors have blended.  It's moister.  I think it has avoided a trip to the garbage can.



Sorta makes me think about parenting.


All of a sudden, you're pregnant and you read all of the
 "What To Do When You're Expecting" books
and parenting seems so EASY!!!

It doesn't take long to realize that, as a parent, you suck.  ;)    I mean, let's be honest - parenting doesn't always bring out the best in us.  We realize that children now, and forevermore, come first and we come second or third or fifth and they don't always do what we want them to do and they embarrass us and disappoint us and sometimes we can roll with it and sometimes it's cause for a giant sized mother-fit and ......

....it ain't always pretty.
 
 
 
But, like this silly cake that I made, becoming a good parent takes time.  You learn to mellow out a bit and relax and lighten up and, like the cake, after some time, you find that this whole parent/kid relationship improves with age.  Your kid improves.  YOU improve.  Your kid and you together improve.  And it's sweet.
 
This kid!
The worst part of birthday parties for him when he was little?
The song.
He hated the song.
It never failed, singing "Happy birthday" was cause for him to cover his ears.  Every.  Year.
Or cry.
Or hide under the table. 
 
 


This year he complimented me on the beautiful cake,
marvelled at the colored flames on the candles,
and told us to "sing it again, and do a better job this time" after version 1.0 was a little lackluster.
(Surprising, I know, for a Dynna party)
And, he sat and smiled the whole time.


He loves his brother and puts up with his quirky sense of humor.
"Ben, sign the card, and write his name on the envelope."


And he reads every verse and every written word on each and every card.
(apologies for the blurry pic)



He thinks that hanging out with family is a perfectly acceptable way to celebrate his 15th birthday.

 
 
 
And he's even willing to smile while doing so!

 
 
He passionately pursues his dreams.

 
 
 
And confidently.....
......marches to the beat of his own drum.


On the occasion of his 15th, I do think that all things have ......
 
.....definitely....
 
.....and most certainly.....
 
improved with age.
 
Especially - him!


Comments

  1. Love the love here. And that he started out looking so much like D. and evolved into someone who looks so much like M.! How fun is that?! -e.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful memories. He's a wonderful young man. It didn't take a lot of courage to "brave" that cake.
    It really was delicious. Thanks again ..for the new memories made. .. and the cake ! x Mom and Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are here to celebrate these moments with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maureen, this was such a great post on so many levels. I really think that cake looks so great. We've all been there with less than moist cakes and it is true that chocolate cakes usually age well.
    You have a really great son and I think his brother is witty. Love the envelope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by! I think his brother is witty, too! Proud of both of my boys - as you are! Hope things are improving in your world!

      Delete
  5. I wrote this great message last night and it vanished into cyberspace and never showed up! Sigh...I'll try to repeat!

    Awww...sniff, sniff....I remember the ears covered during the singing, especially when Nana sang! (and she knows how to sing - should have covered his ears for me!). And that phone call about the precious bundle that I fell in love with immediately...and now my baby nephew's all "growed up!" Sigh! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been an amazing cheerleader and aunt to Andrew since moment one! We are thankful.

      Delete
    2. sniff...you're always determined to make me cry! :)

      Delete
  6. Motherhood brings about so many emotions at different stages and I like how you wrote this
    and saved the love within a family by the beautiful photos and writing about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annaliese! I have always tried to treasure the present in this parenting journey. Too quickly the stages pass and become memories!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts