China, Crystal, and the Company...Of My Thoughts

Spent the last hour or more washing out the china cabinet and most of the contents.  I told you that washing dishes is therapeutic and the place of much thinking!  And, I have been thinking about many things.

The gorgeous china platter was a wedding gift from friends; he is from Hungary, and they brought the platter back from their European trip shortly before our wedding.  I remember their visit not long before our wedding, where they brought over the gift, correctly assuming that, with its' fine bone china content, the platter would best be given in person to avoid accidents and so that they could explain the story behind this beautiful piece.  We don't use it often, but when I do, it's with recognition of the fineness of the dish.

Oh, what's this?  A little (and I mean little) silver platter - a gift from a Bible School friend at our graduation.  Comes from her home town in Manitoba (Neepawa).  A symbol of friendship developed while we did our gratis duty of "tables and trays" and became friends while we washed and dried and straightened.  I use this platter to serve dainties, small pieces of Christmas goodies.  Too bad my boys don't understand "small dainties".  Their idea of a treat is a half pan of puffed wheat cake in one sitting.  ;)

Hmm, countless crystal serving pieces, all wedding gifts.  We treasure them all and use almost all of them.  I remember opening the box of one gift and finding a crystal bowl, very similar to the bowl that I watched, in horror, sell at my parents' garage sale.  "Mom, you CAN'T sell that bowl!"  Too late.  The buyer wouldn't sell it back to me, even though she knew I was sad to see it go.  My mom wisely told me that I was getting married shortly and that I'd get my own treasures, and told me to let it go.  Nine or so months later, I did get my own, practically identical, crystal bowl and the hidden surprise was a hand embroidered tablecloth from my favorite aunt tucked underneath.  She passed away shortly after Ben was born.  Treasures.

Mostly what's coursing through my brain is the amount of times we have sat at our dining room table with a table full of company, using all our china, silver and crystal, set with nice tablecloths with matching napkins.  Our tastes have changed over the years and I even had to throw a tablecloth away the other day, due to a huge "can't cover it with a placemat any longer" stain!  Food is for sharing, china is for using, tablecloths are to be enjoyed.  But I digress.  My thoughts have turned largely to Dynna birthday gatherings.  Dean's family enjoys celebrating birthdays and we have hosted many birthday parties.  First came the adult celebrations where we managed to fit around the table.  Then the children started to be born and a high chair would be placed in the corner.  Then more children arrived; high chairs, booster seats, and plastic cups started to appear at the table, along with bibs and paper napkins.  Twelve of us regularly sat around the table, occasionally 13.  More children encouraged the older children to sit like grown ups, but we spared them the stress of having to use crystal.  A few kids may have banged on the china plates, thinking they were Corelle, but nothing was the worse for wear.  One table became two tables pushed together.  Serving tables were squeezed into every available spot so that the (china and crystal) serving dishes could be circulated around the small table then set aside.  The older kids grew older, and were allowed china and crystal settings.....

And then, kind of one by one, kind of "all of a sudden" it all changed.  Granny left us.  And we carried on.  Then Grandpa left us. Vanders moved away....and here we are, celebrating birthdays with 6 of us.  Two grandparents, two parents, two kids.  Sigh.  It HAS changed.  Oh, we still use the china and crystal but, shhh, sometimes we just go out instead of cook!  I don't regret where we are now; it's all good.  It's just different.  And washing all that crystal and china just brought a rush of memories of where we've been.

I think that there is something here still important to Dean and I, and that is to live with purpose, or live purposefully.  We WANT company at our table.  We WANT people to tell us that they felt special when they came here with the table set with special things.  We WANT the joy of hosting special events here, where our table and food is given as a gift, an extension of who we are, given to you.  And we also know that beautiful tables don't make or break friendships either.  This stage of our life, quite frankly, more embraces the Jr. Youth nights of 12 year olds drinking koolaid out of a styrofoam cup and eating chips off a napkin!  And I love that too!

So, no recipe in this post.  Maybe later!  It's been good to think about some happy memories!  Happy hosting!  Wipe the dust off of some of those treasures you have and enjoy!

Comments

  1. Loved the post. That little pain in my heart means they were good memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, there's a bittersweet thing going on, isn't there? They were good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post, too. I enjoyed your writing very much. Strange how things change, slowly, then suddenly everything is so different.

    I enjoy remembering the times just you and I sat at your table using the china teacups, or at Mom's Morning Out with a few friends... Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my table has changed over the years too and most particularly in the last 3 years ...I never had the china and crystal but from single friends and Bible studies to kids and grandkids. Who'd a thought? We just never know how it will turn out --nor the changes that come either. When can we come and dine off your china again?
    ElaineK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elaine, you are always welcome to dine at my table. Pick a day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts