Timing Is Everything

Timing is everything.

My work shoes have worn out and my feet and legs are increasingly sore after shifts.  I am one fussy gal when it comes to work shoes; they HAVE to be better than "okay"; we walk so much during a day, our feet really take a beating.  So, yesterday I decided to begin the search for the perfect shoe (where is Cinderella's prince with the magic glass slipper that only fits me???)  My search led me to Wal-mart, hoping that there would be some Dr. Scholl's wonder for a few bucks that would do the job.  I tried on every shoe possible.  Off came the boot, on went the size 8 1/2; off came the size 8 1/2, on came the boot.  Up and down the aisle I went, searching for the perfect fit.  Took longer than I wanted it to and eliminated the opportunity to go to another shoe store.  Next stop was Superstore.  I'm pretty organized when I grocery shop but I got all the way to the end of the store and realized that I had to re-trace my steps and make at least 3 stops on my way back to the checkout.  So I did that and stood in a long line up, texting Dean that I'd be late because I was in a long line up and, yeah, grr. 

Then I looked in the line up next to me and did a double take when I saw an old classmate.  Now, I hate to tell on myself, but I've been out of high school for more-than-25-less-than-30 years-ish.  ISH.  Ahem.  In spite of living an hour away from my home town, I have lost touch with pretty well all my classmates.  My delight was immeasurable as Geraldine and I stood in the line-up, with silly grins on our faces, repeating to each other "How ARE you?"  "I'm good!!  How are YOU?" back and forth until we could get out of the silly line-up and really talk.

It. Was. So.  Nice.  We beamed.  We laughed.  We didn't want to leave.  It's probably been 20 years since we've seen each other.  "Give me a call sometime.... we'll have coffee!"  We beamed some more.  Shared a hug and giggled our way to our vehicles, wow, a lot richer than we were before.

I'm glad my shoes wore out.  If I still had good shoes, I would have missed her.

And now a very silly segue into today's recipe! 

When "timing is everything" and you think you don't have enough time for anything homemade, consider this one!

HAM AND BEAN SOUP

Place 1 meaty ham bone, one chopped onion and 3-4 chopped carrots in a soup pot and cover with water, bringing to a boil.  Add in one pound of dried beans and return to a boil.  Boil for 10-15 minutes.  Turn down to a simmer.  (Chances are you won't have to add ANY salt to this soup.  Taste first!)

Walk away.
Come back.  Stir the pot.
Walk away.
Repeat, for about 3-4 hours.
The end.

How can you say you don't have time for that?!!  But at the end of the day, you can dust a little flour on your face, wipe the sweat off your brow and exclaim how wonderful it is for your family to sit down to a pot of fresh homemade soup, and remind them how hard you work to make HOMEMADE soup, and gently suggest that, really, they should do the dishes.

Timing is everything.

Comments

  1. you don't have to pre-soak the beans???

    The getting someone else to do dishes made me laugh!! Good idea...even though I don't do dishes very often!
    ElaineK

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, you don't have to soak the beans. It would only cut down on the cooking time, and since that's not an issue here...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts