Another "First" Under Our Belts

Well, we did it.  We got the kids back to school for another year.  Another "first day" in the new classroom, with the new teacher, with the new grouping of kids. 

Andrew is in Grade 7 this year so he moved to a new wing of the school where he will have a locker and a bit more recess freedom than previously.  A mother can only worry just a bit about that freedom.  I mean, really?  Do we really want to give Jr. High kids more freedom?  I tease.  Andrew is ready for it; hope the other Grade 7's are as well.  And, for heaven sakes, I hope he remembers his combination for his locker.

Ben has moved into Grade 5 and has a teacher that Andrew never had, so it will be a welcome adventure to become acquainted with her.  Two of Ben's most loyal friends are in his classroom; that makes me very happy.

Our family tradition has always been for both Dean and I to go with the boys on their first day of school to find out who their teachers are, who is in their class, etc.  It's been a chance to visit with other parents and to get a wee taste of that first day of school excitement.

This year, we were not invited to come.  Our presence was not desired.  Not even a little bit. 

Yup, they're growing up. 

But we went anyway, we just made it a very quick trip.  Quick glance at Ben's class list, said good-bye, and then moved on.  Went inside to find which classroom Andrew was in (were we truly the only Grade 7/8 parents that did that?  Maybe we ARE geeks), did not even look his way (or at least he didn't catch me). Shook hands with the principal, introduced ourselves to A's teacher, talked about how Andrew is one year away from being the Senior class of the school, shook our heads at that thought....and left.

Okay, just one very, teeny tiny, small lump in my throat.

I always do that.  I feel sad on the first day of school.  It isn't just that I'm having separation issues.  Frankly, this year, I was quite happy to have them return to school.  But it's the marking of another milestone, another year under their belts, one more step away towards adulthood, one more step away from mom.  Those are healthy steps.  I'm glad my boys are capable, well developed kids who can grow up and step away from us.  That is a good thing!  But that doesn't mean it doesn't catch me every now and then.

So, I find myself doing what I love to do on the first day of school - planning what to feed those boys when they get home!  I love to honor this day, this day of "firsts" for them, with familiar smells and tastes of home.  As if they would forget that quickly?!!  I'm thinking about Texas brownies for their after school snack and spaghetti & shrimp for supper.

Our "Spaghetti and Shrimp" supper was Dean's brain child, inspired by some Food Network Show several years ago.  It has become our favorite go-to comfort food meal.  I think it's the smell of the sauteing garlic that draws everyone in.  The following is less a recipe, and more a ? procedure ? directive ? 

Spaghetti and Shrimp a la Dynna

Cook enough spaghetti to feed your family.  Simple enough?

While the spaghetti is cooking, saute 4, 5 (6, 7, 8 ??) cloves of garlic, finely minced, in several tablespoons of olive oil.  Really, several tablespoons.  Don't skimp!

When the garlic is soft, add in a generous handful of bacon pieces (not the crunchy artificial bacon bits, but the bits of real bacon, or else use leftovers of bacon from breakfast, ha ha, like there ever is any) and let them cook together.  Sprinkle in a couple of pinches of crushed red pepper flakes.

Add in a shrimp ring and saute until the shrimp are pink and curled.

To the drained spaghetti, add in the entire contents of the garlic pan (i.e. do NOT drain the olive oil off) and toss.  There is no "sauce" for this pasta - the oil mixture will distribute through the pasta and lightly coat it.  And that's all the sauce you need.  If the pasta looks a bit dry, add a bit more olive oil directly to the pasta and toss some more.

Sprinkle with plenty of freshly grated Parmesan cheese; grate some fresh pepper on top of that and serve it up.  Mmm.  Comfort food at its' best!

I'm willing to bet that this will be a meal that the boys will be cooking for themselves when they get their first apartment.  And I'm willing to bet that there just may be more than one teeny weeny lump in my throat on that occasion.  But maybe they'll invite me for supper?

Comments

Popular Posts