Daily Challenge, Day Five

Day Five of the Daily Challenge dawned a rainy day.  I'm afraid I'll run out of things to photograph.  Unrelated to this challenge, I've done a recent post about rainy days, what to do, what to do.

 
However, I took some time to review some of the course content and Cathy reminded us to document our days.  Since documenting my morning (which consisted of laboriously typing some lengthy meeting minutes from a recent board meeting) wasn't inspiring, I decided to get outside again and perhaps focus on 'drops'.  For a start, at least.
 
I have to say for the sake of documenting history that, while it's raining in my world, Calgary is in disaster mode, having to evacuate 100,000 people today due to overflowing rivers as a result of unprecedented heavy rainfall.  I may be tired of the rain, but I'm safe and dry in my home.  A hundred thousand people from Calgary alone are not. Canmore residents have lost their homes.  High River businesses are destroyed.  Here at home, the highway north has eroded, blocking our only major highway to the northern communities.  Our blessed Little Red park has been closed indefinitely due to floods and we are a long way away from Calgary.  Our river will also rise in the next week or so as the waters flow east.  So I will endure what's happening in my own world today,and pray for help for those who are in desperate situations.
 
It's all about perspective.  "All we needed was some fresh perspective" - name that movie quote.
 
 
My 10 shots for today:
 
Getting to know my macro setting.  Sometimes it feels as awkward as getting to know my bifocals.  ;)






I have a couple of texturally interesting plants in my front pots this year instead of flowering annuals.  This deep purple one is lovely, and tenderly cups the drops of rain.






Chain link








These lily leaves are loaded with drops.  Why haven't the drops slid off?  Pretty.






The wind and the rain have caused seeds to drop all over the trampoline.  Mr. Ben will have to sweep before jumping.
 



I then listened to more of Cathy's in regards to photo content for the 7 day challenge.  She directs us to capture things that we will (eventually) look back on and be glad to have.  What did my world include in June 2013?




My eyes fell upon this note that mom sent me this week.  Mom has always had the prettiest script.  In the note, she's talking about the sun and the rain and their plans to go to Seniors Camp this week if "all goes well".  One day, 10-15-20 years from now, I know that this photo will be very meaningful to me.  I love the letters she sends and, by the way, handwritten notes are uncommon treasures these days.  Sigh.  I love my mom (and my dad too!).

However, this picture was SO HARD to take to capture the focal point that I had in my head.  Take, retake, retake, retake......




The day finished and evening found us, like it does every Friday night, at church helping out with the youth group.  The lighting in the gym is never friendly for cameras but this picture was a keeper!



Mid-spill!!!






And, common to fun youth events - Angry Birds!!  In this game, the adult leaders were instructed to hide the Angry Bird stuffies all around the church, take a picture that would only partially reveal a clue about their whereabouts and then let the kids find them.  One boy kept asking "where did you hide yours?"  Hmm.  Not gonna tell. 




More hide and seek games - this girl was brave enough to hide behind the garbage can in the kitchen.  We had a lovely visit while she hid and I made the koolaid.  "Do you like volunteering?", she asked.  "Yes, I do."   Look at those beautiful blue peepers.





Church foyer.  I'll bet these flowers have heard a lot of chatter. 




Ack, my FAVORITE shot of the day got overlooked last night!  Here it is today!   It was way past my bedtime last night when I assembled this collection...... 


That's really is now for the Day 5 collection!

Comments

  1. Maureen!...the water droplets are SO pretty!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy! Much to my horror, I missed adding my favorite picture last night and added it just now.

      The more I looked for droplets, the more I saw. We ran some errands while I was thinking of the droplet idea and I noticed that the hood of the car was covered in droplets. I was half tempted to turn around and get the camera to capture that but let that one go.... ;)

      Delete
  2. I think you are quite gifted at capturing children in photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it's easier if you know them and catch them at their most natural state. I appreciate your visit to my site!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts