Post From A Lazy July Morning

Here it is, July the something - 8?  9?  10?  9th.  Yes.

I got smart(er) this summer - instead of picking up a BUNCH of extra shifts so that "we can all get the vacation time we need", I have hardly picked up ANY.  I usually end up working more in the summer than I do in the winter.  My motivation is good in April when I accept the shifts but, in July, when everyone's home except me, my enthusiasm wanes.  This year, it's "I-don't-care-if-we-eat-macaroni-every-day-for-a-month" - I'm considering myself unavailable for that place I love to work at but dearly need a break from.  Yay me.  I don't have to set my alarm clock again for 0520 until August 1! 

We have company coming tomorrow, dropping in during the afternoon.  The irony of preparing for summer company - if it's nice, we'll sit outside.  If it's not nice, we'll sit inside.  And, thus, we have to clean both the entire yard AND the entire house.  There's something inefficient about that.  ;)

My hanging pot is slowly dying.  I kill hanging pots.  Every year.  I should be banned from hanging pots.

I got up early this morning (ha ha, 0820?) and was out the door by 9 a.m., heading to the grocery store.  You see, we had no cream for our coffee.  First World problem.  However, I did manage to go to two grocery stores with my pajamas on underneath my hoodie, unbrushed teeth and unbrushed hair AND I DIDN'T RUN INTO ANYONE I KNEW!!! Small Victory on this 9th day of July, in the year of our Lord, 2013.  Happy sigh.

Don't you just love when you go clothes shopping and you really want to find a white and blue striped maxi skirt and you not only find it, but you find it for less than $20!!! 

Last week, Andrew was at camp for the week and we planned a special day at the lake with Ben and friends.  This week, Ben is at camp and we decided that we would take Andrew to Saskatoon for some shopping.

Andrew likes lake days, too, but, even more, he loves trips to the music store where he spends his hard earned cash on drum sticks and other such drum nish-nosh.

At the last minute, we wrangled ourselves a hotel room and made it an extra special 'mom and dad getaway with Andrew'.  Andrew had just returned from his week at camp and, well, we had some 'lovin'-on-Andrew' that we needed to catch up on.

I think I will remember that getaway for a long time.  The sun was warm and bright; we had a terrific Italian meal at Chianti's that did not disappoint, the hotel is new and the pool was refreshing.  We all climbed into bed with our gadgets; I fell asleep and Andrew woke me up twice with his giggles as the video he was watching tickled his funny bone.  We shopped shopped shopped and indulged in some fun purchases.  And Andrew seemed to like us and our company.  He talked with us on an adult level and communicated some things with us on an adult level with no teenage angst attached to his words.  We laughed at his jokes and he laughed at our jokes and he commented "Mom, you're enjoying my company, aren't you?" and, yes indeed, I was.  I so love this kid.  I always want his company.  Teenage mood swings have robbed us of some compatability lately.  But I love this guy and I want to love him in a language that he understands and wants and accepts.  Lord help me, I don't always know how to reach through that shell, but I try.  And fail.  And try again.  And, so, this overnighter was precious and happy and sweet and I shall not forget it.  Today, my mission with him just might be to find the best éclair this city can buy - a recent like of his.

A couple of weeks ago, I started to panic about preparing for our camping trip in August (I know, silly waste of panic).  The weather was cool that day so I baked a few batches of cookies and froze a bunch (don't tell my family) to pull out at the lake.  This recipe was Andrew's favorite and definitely one that I will have to make for him again and again, so he says.


Chocolate Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
 1/4 teaspoon salt
 1/2 cup granulated sugar (plus more for rolling)
 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter, divided
 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
 1 egg
 3/4 cup powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 375º F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together sugars, and butter until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and egg, beating to combine. Stir in the flour mixture and stir to combine, blending well. Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, mix together powdered sugar and peanut butter until smooth.
5. Pull off a heaping tablespoon of cookie dough and flatten with your hands. Take about 1 teaspoon of peanut butter mixture and place it in the center of the chocolate dough. Wrap the chocolate dough around the peanut butter center, pressing to seal. Roll the cookie into a ball and roll the cookie in the sugar. Place cookies on the prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart. Using the bottom of a glass, flatten each cookie to about a 1/2 inch thickness.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 7 to 9 minutes. Let stand on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then remove to a wire rack.

They are a bit of work, but are so tasty.  I got about 3 dozen or so out of the batch and the cookies are quite rich so I wouldn't try to make them bigger than recommended.


I guess I better get at my to-do list.  I came home from the grocery store with 3 packages of blueberries so that I could make jam, but forgot the pectin.  Guess I'll try to get dressed properly this time....don't want to tempt fate....

Bye for now.

Comments

  1. You have a fun writing style and I've enjoyed your photography, scrolling through ...
    Did I meet you in Saskatoon? I believe I did...
    Can't remember which place. Was it McNalleys?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anneliese! Thanks for reading! And commenting! ;)

      Yes, I met you in Saskatoon, at the 10000 Villages store. My husband tried to help you and your husband with your camera. It was such a pleasure to meet you after reading your words for the past few years!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts