Fall Harvest

I started the dreadful annual-seasonal-predictable routine of starting to clean the garden out this week.  When the quick things are on, like peas and beans, one picks with a fervor known only to other gardeners who know the value of the perfect pea pod vs. too old.  (Isn't that sort of like misguided dating that happens in your 20's?  Sorry, I digress).
 
But, when fall comes, there's a harvest of a different speed.  I leave the tomatoes on as long as I dare before frost comes.  The carrots do better with a touch of cold.  Cucumbers eventually give up giving fruit.  And, digging potatoes, well that's a job for the whole family.  So, we take our time in fall harvest.
 
I took a few pictures this afternoon of what's left in the garden.  Dear friends, what on earth will I take pictures of this winter when I can't hop out the back door and find instant inspiration?  Sigh.
 
Despite the fact that nothing is fresh and green or at its' prettiest anymore, there were still beautiful things to be found.

 
 
I chuckled to myself when I saw this rhubarb plant because it reminds me of me!

 It's hard to tell from this picture, but the rhubarb is flat against the soil.  Its' perfect fruit season is long past.  It is SPENT!  Kinda reminds me of getting to the end of a season in ones' life - after being who you need to be and giving all ya got, sometimes life leaves you flattened to the ground, SPENT!

Next spring will come and it will be ready to give freely again.

Inspiring.




Dill, dill, beautiful dill!  How I love thee!  I think that I shall freeze some of your tender fronds for dining pleasure until we can meet face to face again. 

;)







This gorgeous zucchini blossom blooms but doesn't look like it has any fruit on it.

I remember one year I planted 4 or 5 zucchini plants because, hey, why not?!!  When my mom came to visit in September, she picked off dozens of zucchini and lined them up on the lawn in a row, from biggest to smallest.  She started to count them and then got a severe case of the giggles as she thought that I had really over-done it in the zucchini department that year.  I hope I remember that moment for a long time.

Silly mother!
 




My beets are too small this year.  We'll get a couple of meals out of them but not much more.

However, I give beets 5 stars for being the most striking plant in the garden every year.

....show off.....





a
Many of the apples have already fallen off the tree but the best still remain at the top, out of reach.  By hook or by crook, I will pick enough for a few tasty treats.  Last weekend, I made a batch of Salted Caramel Apple Hand Pies that were good.  It's so nice to run outside and pick a few apples to toss into a recipe. 

I love eating what we grow!  That's the addictive edge of gardening!




Not sure what type of tomatoes these were, but I always end up with a plant or two of cherry tomatoes.  They grow so differently than regular sized tomatoes and it's fun picking them, as they grow in clusters and fall into your hands like grapes.  This year, these tomatoes are SO SWEET.  I've been eating some every day with fresh cucumbers and dill and cucumber dressing.




Ah, lovely tomatoes.  You are my favorite thing to grow, by far.

However, ahem, this year, we need to talk. 
You guys let me down.
You didn't produce enough and now I must make the grand decision of buying tomatoes to can,
....or buying cans of tomatoes....





....perhaps you have done me a favor by saving me some work....

Okay, I'll let you off the hook but NEXT YEAR, let's work a little harder on this whole bearing good fruit thing.

Until next year, move over tomato and cucumber salads...

It's time for toasted tomato sandwiches.
BLTs
Bacon, tomato and cheddar cheese sandwiches.
Fresh salsa
 
Here's my go-to salsa recipe!

8 cups peeled chopped tomatoes
2 cups chopped onions
2 green peppers, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1 can tomato paste
3/4 cup vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin

Combine all ingredients in a large sauce pan.  Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.  Turn down heat and simmer for 2 hours.  Process in jars or freeze.

You could also add chopped jalapeno peppers.  We like to add a tablespoon or two of chipotle peppers, to taste.

Store bought is good; homemade is better!

Comments

  1. Do you include the stems when you chop up the cilantro...? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean, Dean - you weren't exactly handy in the kitchen back in those days ... Thank heavens you have smartened up. Cilantro's a smart little plant - seems that you can chop both leaves AND stems.

      Delete
  2. You and me both! Oh boy, I really need to get out there too and deal with the has beens. Our garden has been taken over by the pumpkin! The green beans are under there somewhere. My Kale...I couldn't keep up. Beets ...there are many but not as good as usual. Potatoes are being enjoyed ...very much and the carrots are finally getting big enough to pick...after having to replant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such fun to watch things grow! I haven't got into kale yet but hear rave reviews. I wonder if it would grow in our SK climate?

      Have fun un-gardening!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts