The Truth About Pain

I've had a secret goal for a long time.


I want to be fit.

But I've been struggling to find a "fit" that fits me.

Mr. Dean-o loves his TRX and has been suggesting that I try it out. 

Oh, he is somethin' else.
Not to worry, TRX isn't usually done outside in northern Canada in the middle of winter.
We're not that silly.
;)


And so I have tried it out.

Sort of.

In the fashion of "I just spent 2 minutes with this device and I don't like it so I give up"  manner of "try it out". 

I think 2 minutes was fair, don't you?

I am so uncoordinated and bodily challenged - "just put your foot here and stand like this and then lean forward....

Argh. 

Sorry dear.  I just can't.

And I just don't want to.

I foresee stitches.

I foresee YOU in stitches, giggling at my ill-fated attempts at being a graceful swan.

Don't misunderstand - if you need a teacher, Dean's the man.  He's patient and careful and encouraging, etc., etc.  And he never ever laughs at me.  He really wants me to succeed.  He really thinks I can succeed.  (Silly man.)

But it's not for me.

So then, I debated through the gym memberships and I think that's too expensive for a person that hates to leave the house on her days off.

Our Wii died so the Wii Fit thingy that I did once that nearly killed me  attempted is out of the question.  I also can't "Just Dance".  On soooooo many levels......

Ding ding ding - we found a good deal after Christmas and bought an exercise bike!  I was pretty sure that this was a good option for me.

Five minutes, I kid you not, on the lowest gear, and I was bagged.

To make matters even more embarrassing, I talked to my 85 year old dad about how pleased I was to have this bike.

He then told me that he rides his exercise bike every day for 30-35 minutes, in four different gears.  Without fail.  First thing in the morning.

Oh.

Dear.

One day, not long ago, I told my friend that I'm a wanna-be runner.  I told her that, from the couch, I picture myself running.

And we had a good laugh.

And I started to think.

That was a stupid thing to say. Out loud, especially.

I walked the halls while at work one day and thought about this whole fitness dilemma.  I  admitted to myself with a great deal of honesty that I had absolutely no motivation to become fit.

Except the fact that heart disease runs rampant on both sides of my family and I'm starting to feel sluggish and I'm aging and expanding and can't stay on a bike for five minutes without feeling bagged.

Now that you put it that way......

So, the next afternoon, I "just did it".

I found a running program and got it onto my phone and developed a playlist and announced to the family that I was going to get 'er done and I headed out the door.  I obeyed the nice lady's verbal instructions to 'change pace now' and I completed Day 1 of 'learn to run'.

I went out the next day and did it again, and now I have a few days under my belt.

And I feel good.

Well, today I feel good.

The other day.....not so much.

The other day, raising my leg to get into bed hurt.  Standing up hurt.  Sitting down hurt.  Walking hurt.  DON'T TOUCH ME.  Help me up.

Oy.

We went out and ran again the next day.

And came home and did a few more strategic stretches and attempted to walk around the house as if I didn't hurt even though I did.

We went out and ran again the next day.

And, today, I came in from the run and did my strategic stretches and walked into the kitchen and realized that I.  Don't.  Feel.  Bad.  At.  ALL!!!!  In fact, I feel GOOD.  I feel refreshed!  Even though the last run/walk just about got me!  And I'm thinking back to a few days ago when I thought that I'd likely injured myself for life, that I wouldn't walk upright ever again and that it would be impossible for me to ever master this skill....I just hurt so bad. 


I'm convinced that there's a life lesson in here.

It's got something to do with continuing to put one foot in front of the other when in painful or difficult circumstances. Just keep going.

And it's got something else to do with being patient in the middle of pain and difficulty.  Grace.

And something to do with not giving up, even when it hurts.  Persevere

It's got something to do with making good decisions along the way that will help when times are challenging (hello, stretches).  Be wise

And something else to do with choosing a goal and committing your focus even when it's harder than you want it to be.  Be focused

And something else to do with deciding that it's never too late to try....it just might take more work and pain to accomplish it.  Never stop trying



So there, now I've made a confession to you.  I've let you in on a little secret.  And now I am, at some point, feeling accountable to a bunch of people to keep working at this little secret; I haven't decided if I like that yet or not.  Just sayin'.

But if you see a somewhat middle aged lady walking/running through the quiet streets of Crescent Heights - don't wave, because I won't see you.  Don't say hi because the music is blaring and I won't hear you.  Don't talk to me because I don't have enough breath to chat.  Yet! 

But I might try and smile!




And, swinging the pendulum of topics really widely, I have to share this recipe with you because it's a hands-down-instant-family-favorite!  And I, at least, have to record it for myself for future use!  It was found during a stroll through Pinterest here. 

Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf

1 1/2 lbs lean hamburger
8 slices bacon, diced and browned
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup dry Stove Top Stuffing
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 egg
1 tsp salt

Combine the above ingredients, then top with BBQ sauce or combine 1 cup ketchup, 1/2 cup mustard and 1 Tbsp brown sugar and brush on top (that was too much sauce for our taste - I'd cut that in half, at least).

Bake at 350 F until it registers at 160 on a meat thermometer.  Mine was in the oven for about an hour and a half but I think I actually had closer to 2-2.5 lbs of hamburger -mine was huge!

Very moist and tasty!  Not sure if I can go back to my original boring meatloaf!












Comments

  1. Cheering you on! And I'll have to tell my chef about the recipe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I'm glad you found something that you "like."

    If it makes you feel better, my last year at Prov I went out with a friend who's a runner. She ran SO slow because it was my first time out but it was so hard for me and for the rest of the week I needed to put a hand against the wall to be able to sit down on the toilet!

    I have liked Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred b/c it's basic moves that aren't difficult but get results. And on day 1 you think you'll never be able to do this but by day 3 you can do it all so much better. Jillian says in that dvd "Pain is fear leaving the body" which is kind of cool.

    I started Couch to 5K a few years ago when we were on holidays in Summerland and every time I think of or use that app I'm reminded of getting up before the family and sneaking out of the house with the beautiful Okanagan mountains and orchards -- and me panting my way through them. :)

    We'll have to jog next time we're together! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the program that I'm using and I really like it so far. I've told myself that if I never leave Week 1, it's still more exercise than I've been getting. Half of me is motivated to reach Week 9, and half of me is motivated to run regularly, whether or not I reach Week 9.

      Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  3. Loved this! Didn't know you had a blog! or wait -- did I? don't remember... ha ha
    I hear ya on the lack of motivation, but it's that quality of life I want in my 60s, 70s, and God-willing, 80s, 90s... :)
    Thanks, Maureen! :) have a day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts